Italian Stuffed Zucchini Boats
Ready in 40 minutes
- 4 medium zucchini
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1 pound ground Italian sausage
- 1/2 cup onion finely diced
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 cups marinara sauce
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- cooking spray
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Coat large baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Cut the zucchini in half longways, trim off the stem ends.
- Use a spoon to carefully scoop the seedy part out of the zucchinis.
- Arrange the zucchini in the baking dish.
- Heat olive oil in a large pan over medium high heat. Add the sausage and cook for 4-5 minutes, breaking up the meat.
- Add the onion and cook until onion is softened. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Season the sausage and vegetable mixture with Italian seasoning, salt and pepper.
- Pour the marinara sauce into the pan and bring to a simmer; cook for 5 minutes.
- Spoon the meat mixture into the zucchini shells.
- Top with the shredded cheese.
- Bake for 25 minutes
- Top with parsley, then serve.
For Vegan-friendly Zucchini boats, substitute cooked chopped chickpeas and vegan mozzarella.
Serving Size: 1 Boat
Carbohydrates: 16 g
Protein: 25 g
Fat: 23 g